STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 14: Recovery

My day began at Camp Dodge, a National Guard base outside Des Moines. The governor's chief of staff told me and a bunch of my federal and state colleagues about the new Rebuild Iowa initiative, which will be the clearinghouse for long-term recovery planning. I've got some work to do, as do my colleagues, and something tells me I may be back in Iowa soon.

Today, though, I flew back to Boston, getting some postcard views of Chicago in the process. Weird to compare the Loop from the air with what's visible taking off from Des Moines -- a lot of the agricultural land around the city is still flooded or just soaked, like wet clothes set out in the sun that haven't dried yet. Really incredible.

Landing in Boston, I noticed that Virgin Atlantic is now using A340s instead of 747s on the Logan run. Hmm!

To distract myself from the many annoyances of traveling, I decided to think of today as my own personal recovery day, and the strategy worked pretty well: everything went smoothly. It's funny: I've never compared myself with a state before (and if I had been asked to, I might not have led off with the Hawkeye State)... but I've been impressed by the Iowans. If I can recover as well as they can -- and it looks like they're on track to do just that -- then I'll be in pretty good form for the marathon.

(P.S. Katie, did you guys ever make it to St. Louis?!)

No comments: