STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 130: Laughter

Four more miles this morning. The autumn weather continues in spectacular fashion.

Due to poor planning, my iPod battery gave out in the middle of Car Talk, but other entertainments awaited. As I was running past one of my alma maters (almas mater?), Harry B. Thompson Middle School, a gym class was in progress. About 20 kids were huffing across the playing field. One of them spied me in the road and called out: “Wanna jog with us? It’s fun!” I laughed out loud.

I remember one day at Thompson: classes ended, and we went out to get on our buses. But our regular bus wasn’t there; a suspiciously old bus, and a suspiciously old driver, awaited us. I stepped up into the bus, quickly assessed the driver as boozy, turned around, and walked home. I had never done that before, and Thompson seemed awfully far from my house, but I knew the way, and the weather was nice, and I was up for an adventure. Now, of course, the distance (less than three-quarters of a mile) was covered in but an eyeblink.

Now: I have to do some work. Dozens of e-mails to read, projects hanging in midair… I have to stay on top of all of that. Family, running, and work, don’t you know.

No comments: