STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 83: Travelin' fool

It's been hard over the past few months to keep to my training regimen. It's been hard to do much of anything, actually: flying all over the place has played havoc with eating, sleeping, working, running, seeing friends, and so forth. I have worked to keep things under control, but it certainly has not been easy.

This morning I got in what should have been yesterday's five-miler. No sweat... actually, quite a lot of sweat. Have I mentioned that I bought a cheap clothes-drying rack so I have someplace to put my soaked clothes when I get back from my runs? Have I mentioned that my running shoes are starting to get a little gross? So much to keep track of.

Despite me physically being all over the place, my mental focus has actually been pretty good. I haven't had many moments when I've woken up and said to myself, "I do NOT want to run today." I have tried to go easy on myself while traveling -- for instance, indulging in soft-serve, which I happily did Wednesday night in Ocean City. This evening, after work, I thought it might be fun to hit the trail on the bike for a few miles, because I don't get to bike often, the weather was nice today, and it looks like Tropical Storm Hanna and additional traveling will keep me off the bike. But I decided that a little more sleep might be better... I've been a bit light on the sleep lately.

When I started this blog back in June, I made a long list of topics to cover, in case I couldn't come up with anything compelling on a given day. I forgot that a reliable fallback, which I have employed frequently, is to simply babble on about the nonsense of the day. Perhaps all the traveling actually has made me forgetful...

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Hi Eric,

Have read several of your posts and wanted to wish you the best as you continue training for your marathon. You'll have the experience of a lifetime. Seems like you're doing a good job of hanging in there in view of your travel.

You're welcome to join our supportive running community at www.runnerslounge.com

Keep up the good work!

Tom