STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day 85: Hometown

Twelve morning miles under the glorious early Long Island sunshine. Evidently a lot of bicyclists also thought it was a good day to hit the road, because I saw packs of 'em -- mini-pelotons. Some individuals, too. And even some other runners.

Most of the people I encountered nodded or said hi as we passed each other. Reminds me of my bike through Lincoln and wherever else with Jordan Karp, during which he nodded, waved, and hi'ed at everyone we saw. I thought that was nuts -- a very California thing -- but maybe it's just that in the suburbs, people are more relaxed, and are willing to exchange pleasantries even while on the move. Or, that they're so scared to encounter other people on the street that they feel it necessary to verify their good intentions. Hmm.

I've never seen my hometown quite as I did this morning: on foot. I ran down past my high school and then through "town" (where the railroad station is), basically in a big loop. It was a strange experience, for reasons a bit too vague to explain here, but it was pleasant enough, and I didn't encounter any difficulties during the run -- I even kept up a pretty brisk pace. Hard-hearted Hanna, the vamp of Savannah, GA, turned out to be a damp squib; apart from a few small downed branches and leafy debris in the gutters, you'd never know a Fearsome Tropical Storm had passed through the night before.

Giant lunch in Brooklyn after the run with my mom, grandma, aunt, and uncle, and Mario's Pizza for dinner. Can't go wrong there. And speaking of which (i.e., comestibles), a bonus for loyal Cambridge readers: I will in fact tank up at Bagel Boss tomorrow morning before setting off. You have been warned.

No comments: