STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Day 133: The return

Back in Cambridge. Bagels on the table. Four more miles on the trail under my belt. (Next to the bagels, in a manner of speaking.)

It's getting cold. Leaves and pine needles covered the trail and I was worried about slipping. Now that I have no long runs to worry about, I'm worrying about other things, like injuring myself. I put the living-room air conditioner in the pantry today, and I had visions of being crushed underneath it, or severing my toes, or having one of my legs pop out of its socket.

Have I mentioned that the seasonal time change ("fall back") takes place during the night of Nov. 1-2? An extra hour of sleep for me the night before the marathon. This is good, because I will need to be in position, outside the New York Public Library in Manhattan, at 5:30 AM on race day to catch the bus to Staten Island. And then, since my start isn't until 10:00, I'll have hours to freeze my butt off outdoors. Oh, joy!

I've only got a few days here to take care of a bunch of stuff, and then it's back to New York on Thursday. Potential spectators: stay tuned for viewing details, especially if you'd like to meet up with one or more of my roving gangs of family/friends.

Tomorrow: the weatherwatch begins. How many times will the forecast change between Oct. 24 and Nov. 1, and how will any of them compare to the actual weather? I should start a pool.

Back to the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, who for some reason is picking his schnoz as he narrates the day's happenings. Boy, PBS has really gone downhill. And upnose.

No comments: