STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 140: Carbo-loading

Weatherwatch for Nov. 2 (from weather.com):
Mostly sunny, 48°, chance precip. 20%, wind ENE 7 mph, humidity 57%, UV index 3
(overnight low Nov. 1: 37°, chance precip. 20%)

Weather.gov for Nov. 2: Sunny, high 54° (overnight low Nov. 1: 39°)

It's a curious thing, to have to eat more than you want to eat. Carson encountered this every day of the bike trip, during which it was necessary for him to ingest something like 7,000 calories a day -- just to survive. I'm nowhere near that requirement, but I found myself eating all day, and still wondering whether I'll be prepared for Sunday.

Carson and Theresa took me for breakfast this morning -- which actually was my breakfast no. 2, since I woke up at about 5:00 (still shifting a little each day). That gave me plenty of time to pack up and have breakfast no. 1. After no. 2 (and no. 2), I stopped at the office for a hot mugful of tea and then hit the road for New York, making pretty good time. Got some groceries at the local Trader Joe's, got in a run, got myself organized a little bit, and then cooked up a giant pot of whole-wheat pasta for carbo-loading dinner no. 1. Now it's almost 7:30, so I should be getting ready for bed! Marathon expo is tomorrow in the city.

I feel weird. A lot of anticipation. We'll see how I sleep. Not too long... alarm is set for 4. Hey, this marathoning isn't for wimps!

2 comments:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I still feel like a wimp, but I am doing it nonetheless! The carbo loading is fun!

Good luck, Eric - and have a happy birthday too! I am bib # 52514 if you want to track my progress. I have a 10:20 Start in the green wave. You will do great. (PS I just signed up on the website for the Fan Tracker feature - it sends texts to all your fans on your progress. Check it out!)

Brian said...

Good luck! I am also doing the big run for the first time, after having dropped 155lbs over the past 5 years. Maybe I'll see ya round? Not likely, I know. Enjoy!!!