STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day 139: Anxiety

Weatherwatch for Nov. 2 (from weather.com):
Mostly sunny, high 48°, chance precip. 20%, wind NE 9 mph, humidity 57%, UV index 3
(overnight low Nov. 1: 38°, chance precip. 20%)

Weather.gov is showing a high of 54° for Sunday. Go figure. You wanna bet on the private sector, or the public?

Last training run in Cambridge today, as dusk was settling over the city. Very cold and windy, but I was grimly determined. As usual, I listened to an NPR podcast (Talk of the Nation), and it occurred to me that with all the running I've done, and all the iPod-listening, I've learned a lot.

Hard to believe that it's only a few days until the Big Race. I have been reading all sorts of stuff -- for instance, because it seems that I'll be running along the lower level of the Verrazano Bridge, I need to stay away from the edge, because although the edge offers the best views, it's also the best place to get dripped on by urine from runners on the upper deck. Uh... yeah.

I will be part of an enormous crowd -- almost 40,000 runners will be starting the race. I guess this means that I'll be running with thousands of people for the entire race, and there won't be much opportunity for me to be in my own zone. I'll need to concentrate, and try not to collide with everyone else at the water stops.

Tomorrow morning: to New York! Yes. This is really happening.

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

I will take 54 degrees! Yep, I am Green Wave too...I plan on staying towards the middle when crossing the bridge to avoid anything from above...thanks for the warning! LOL. I am a nervous wreck - not about the running but about getting to the starting line. Leaving DC - bus - expo - sleep - bus at 6 am...etc...