STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Day 110: Batty in Austin

Got to Austin yesterday morning. First, the running stuff:

Taking Sunday off was an excellent idea. My knees were sore and, worryingly, my right hamstring (?) was bothering me. Even though I worried about stiffening up on the plane ride to Austin (despite shelling out a few of my own bucks for super-duper leg room), I was also able to enjoy my regularly scheduled day off yesterday... so when I ran today, 5 miles, I was fine. Very pleased. I ran on the hotel treadmill, though, because it was dark when I started my run in the morning -- and still dark when I finished. I'd like to see Austin, which requires sunlight.

Now, the other stuff, although briefly because I still have work to do this night:

The FEMA operation here, responding to Hurricane Ike, is actually pretty well organized -- better than I expected. My two colleagues and I have a lot of work to do and we hit the ground running as soon as we arrived. Today was a long day and tomorrow will be a longer day, with an early-morning drive to Fort Worth for three meetings throughout the day.

Tonight, a bit after sunset, we saw the famous Austin bat migration from under the Congress Street Bridge. Freaky... but none of the bats resembled Michael Keaton. Or Val Kilmer. Or even Adam West.

Lots of Mexican food. Go figure. If ever I remember the distinctions between rellenos, enchiladas, flautas, tostadas, burritos, chalupas, tamales, and all the other stuff, I'll be doing well. And probably eating well, too.

Tomorrow night: ALDS Game One. Go Sawx!

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

ONE MONTH from TODAY! Happy Trails!