STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day 81: Boardwalks & drawbridges

Back in Ocean City, Maryland, I was able to run a very pleasant five miles across the causeway and along the boardwalk, watching the shadows slowly lengthen as kites flapped in the sea breeze. Of course, as I was returning over the causeway, I was nearly dumbfounded to find the drawbridge open... fortunately, it closed shortly thereafter.

The last time I was here, just a few weeks ago, it was still summer (before Labor Day), so the boardwalk was absolutely packed: wall-to-wall human flesh. Today, practically empty by comparison, but there was still a healthy crowd.

That last trip included a jaunt down to the town of Chincoteague, in Virginia. On that occasion, too, I was stuck behind an open drawbridge. What are the odds?

(Speaking of which, on that trip, my traveling companion somehow managed first-class airplane accommodations, while I was stuck in coach... same thing happened again this morning! She shrugged sheepishly... but nevertheless luxuriated in the extra legroom and hiproom.)

Shout-outs to Jamie (since I saw a few surfers up near 21st Street) and Carson (I must have spotted a hundred funnel-cake vendors along the boardwalk!).

The Republican National Convention is on now, and Sarah Palin will be speaking soon. In-teresting...

No comments: