STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 97: Six and six and $250

I woke up at about 4:00 this morning, and I knew I wasn't going to get right back to sleep, so I started putzing around on Wikipedia. Somehow I started reading about the longtime CEO of Continental Airlines, Robert Six. That helped return me to an unconscious state.

Alarm went off at 6:30, and I said, OK, time to get up. I blinked and sat up in bed, and it was now 7:45. Ah. I went to get the paper off the front steps, and I heard the street-cleaning announcement truck go by: no parking on the odd side today. How fortuitous that I overslept and got this reminder! By missing my alarm, I saved about $250 in ticketing, towing, and other silly miscellaneous fees.

At work I realized that Six's Continental had probably goofed when they put me on the US Airways flight Monday: even though I had used miles to get the ticket, I was probably going to earn miles for the Phoenix-Boston leg. Sure enough, I did, 2,300 of them, as well as an extra flight segment... inching, inching, inching toward elite status, for the third year in a row!

After work I dealt with my own six: miles. Excellent weather day, and I was strong, looping through North Cambridge and then the standard four-mile course on the bikeway. JP Licks in the evening, to celebrate. Tomorrow (I nearly typed 'tomowwow,' and of course thought of Peter Cook's minister from The Princess Bride): the great state of Maine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're a running, biking, flying machine!