STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day 80: Milestones

Today was my 50th run since the bike trip ended, and my 150th since I got serious about this running thing last November.

This morning marked my return to full-power morning running. Digestive complaints appear to have abated. I missed the morning light and got a nice treat in these early, quiet hours, as Spy Pond glimmered under the rising sun.

Today's run was the first 5-mile "short" run. I remember when covering 5 miles on my feet was an athletic accomplishment too ludicrous to seriously contemplate. A bit later, I remember when 5 miles was a long run. After that, I remember completing my first 5-mile race, back in April, with Carson urging me on the whole way... and suddenly sprinting the last quarter-mile, surprising myself (and Carson!), using stuff in the tank I hadn't realized was still there.

Today marks two months until the marathon, and until my birthday. (I'll be sending out another fundraising e-mail to the will-contributes a bit later.)

Are there other milestones? Probably.

Julie asked me over the weekend whether I'm bored after all this time running on the bike path. My answer was no, because I'm always listening to new podcasts as I run along, and I find the familiarity of the terrain to be reassuring. It's much safer than running on the streets! Besides, there's always something new to see. Today, in an echo of one of the bike trip's Idaho days, I was approached by what might most properly be referred to as a "piece of equipment" -- an orange street-cleaning machine, or relative thereof, trundling down the trail behind me. Naturally, I outran it.

There is more to this day, but I feel like I've had a good day already.

No comments: