STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 10: No, I'm from Iowa; I only work in outer space

Here I am, reporting from Des Moines, where I will be working with ESF #14 on long-term flood recovery planning. I've been involved with this kind of thing since Katrina in '05.

No running today, but this hotel has a full kitchen, as so many places on the bike trip did, so I made a trip to a nearby supermarket and cooked up a veritable feast, with leftovers for tomorrow. During my two flights, I tried to keep my legs as limber as possible, so hopefully I'll be ready to cover a few miles first thing in the morning.

As I go through my work e-mails and papers, "The Princess Bride" is on TV. I don't like naming favorites, but this might be close, as films go. "Westley, let's not go into the Fire Swamp -- we'll never survive!" "Nonsense! You're only saying that because no one ever has!"

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Love the blog - very motivational! I'm running the marathon too, was researching what other folks are doing to prepare. It will be my first. Best wishes!