STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 25: Heat, haze, humidity

Four miles this morning, at the crack of dawn. The New York Times had an interesting piece last week on running in heat and humidity, and quoted a doctor who opined that "...if you have to choose between exercising in the morning when it is 60 degrees and 80 percent humidity, or in the evening when it is 90 degrees and 50 percent humidity, choose the morning." This morning it was more like 70 degrees, but: point taken.

I haven't seemed to much mind running in heat or humidity, which is fortunate. Actually, when I started running in November I was worried about being outside in the cold, dry air (and in fact there was another Times piece about that back in January). But that, too, worked out. Obviously, I'm affected by conditions as much as anyone else, and my clothes are certainly sweatier in the summer. It's been OK, though.

I also have no problem waking up and then (after eating something, just a bit) going for a run. Some people absolutely cannot do that. I generally need a long runway to get ready for the day, with plenty of time to complete my morning ablutions, but I don't mind getting the early light on the trail. Really haven't ever done night running... maybe that's the next frontier!

No comments: