STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day 36: Perfect ten

OK, so not actually a perfect ten... I actually ran 10.2 miles. The reality of running TWENTY-SIX miles is now taking on a very physical meaning. Frightening.

Today is the hottest day of the year so far in Boston, but armed with all of my equipment, I did pretty well. I wasn't slowed down by the traffic lights in Arlington Center, I dropped a water bottle after about six miles but picked it right back up, I wasn't slowed by a few sneezes, and I avoided a crazy woman in a blue Camry who pulled out of a parking lot right in front of my face (maybe I shouldn't have slapped her trunk as I ran past). Only thing is, with one eye on the heart-rate monitor (average for the run: 156), I kept the run veerrryyyy sssslllloooowwww. My knees started to stiffen up after about mile 8, and I could have brought another of the little belt-mounted water bottles, but otherwise things were fine.

Inventory:

  • Body: other than the knees, and the usual mild shin splints, pretty good. No blisters, no phantom pains.
  • Equipment: checked out well enough.
  • Hydration: it WAS the hottest day of the year. When I got home, I had quite a lot more to drink. I sweated a lot; the new shorts were completely soaked by run's end.
  • Nutrition/energy: no problem. One gel prior to the run and two during.
  • Cardio/fitness: seems to be OK for now.
We'll see how I feel in the morning...

No comments: