STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 26: Trust the training

Today wasn't a running day, but I was very tempted to bike, even though I had a busy half day at work... the other half featured an afternoon game at Fenway, with 31 fellow (and former) Volpones, an overturned triple play, and the Red Sox whupping the Twins, 18-5.

And yesterday, I was wondering when and whether I should consider doing a half-marathon or two prior to the Big Race on November 2.

Also, I noticed that the most recent post on Tom's blog was an oath against overdoing it.

Tying all this together, Carson cautioned me against pushing too hard, and even enlisted Alisa as backup. Both of them sounded the same message: "Trust the training." I'm on the marathon running plan, and I need to focus on staying strong and healthy, not running (or biking) myself ragged in the mistaken belief that only miles in motion will build me up. Rest, recovery, and keeping the mentals are just as important.

So today, I didn't run, and I didn't bike, and I took the afternoon off, got an ice-cream cone at Fenway, and cheered on the Sox.

No comments: