STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 27: Watch the watch

I decided to try an experiment during this morning's four-miler: I didn't look at my watch once. Not when I got to the first mile, or the halfway point, or the spot where the trail spits out of Russell Field and I usually speed up if I want to trim a few seconds off during the last thousand feet. Only when I finished did I glance down at my wrist, and of course I was much slower than on Tuesday. But that's the point -- no need to be fast; I just need to get the miles in, and build up my endurance. (If I was training for a 5K or something, things would be different.)

So later today, when I saw on the web that the snazzy Nike+ unit (which hooks up to your iPod and gives you all kinds of statistics on your running, since it uses an accelerometer to measure as you go along) was on sale from some catalog outfit, I demurred. If I shouldn't be looking at my watch, I shouldn't be dealing with a million other statistics. I do, however, have a heart-rate monitor, although I haven't used it to figure out my actual maximum heart rate, and in fact I have hardly used it at all... although when we were in Casper on the bike trip, and I wore it for the first time, the reading indicated that, according to the laws of probability, I should have been dead. If I get a little more serious, I'll be able to use the monitor to see whether I pass the Goldilocks test: too fast, too slow, or just right.

Running, like so many other things, is just a numbers racket.

Speaking of which, "Bette Midler" was revealed yesterday to be none other than the redoubtable, motorcycle-riding, Volpe-orbiting Robert J. Armstrong, whose full name I am announcing in recognition of his inexplicable tendency to yell out my entire name in public, which is in fact the only thing I have ever asked him not to do. So there!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The value of Nike+ is twofold:

1) let it track your mileage, and alert you when you pass certain milestones (halfway point, 400meters to go, etc.). When running you should concentrate on form and pace, and not worry about trying to figure out how far you've gone so far.

2) Let you see how your pace changes over the course of the run. If you're trying to keep a regular pace (a good idea), or do intervals (also a good idea for training), you can check out exactly how well you did afterwards looking at a graph.

Unknown said...

I'd suggest instead of focusig on 'pace' you focus on 'effort,' thus the need for the heart rate monitor. Pace is not a reliable indicator of exertion.

Tracking heart rate over some distance will provide the same information as tracking pace...and then some. That's my 2 cents for the year.