STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 61: The insanity continues

Loyal readers may remark at the absence of posts the past several days. Never fear: I've continued running! But my grueling travel schedule has precluded posting until now. Here's the full update:

Sunday, I was supposed to have an easy flight from La Guardia to Norfolk, and then a two-hour drive to Chincoteague, Va. I figured I'd run 8 miles in the morning (the ol' switcheroo with Saturday), but I only managed three, due to what I think will be my last bout of stomach-upset. No problem -- I could make it up in Virginia. Except I didn't even make it to Virginia.

My flight was canceled and all other flights were canceled, so I took the train to Washington and rented a car for the three-hour drive. (My work travel agent couldn't get me a car in Wilmington, Delaware, for some reason... thanks!) On the way, I noticed a sign that said "Bay Bridge closed." That didn't sound good, so I called Eli, who told me of a horrible accident. Sure enough, traffic on US-50 ground to a halt in Annapolis, Maryland, so I stayed the night there... sleeping only a few hours, since I had to wake at 3:30 to have enough time to finish my drive to Chincoteague, where we had a Monday meeting at 7:30! I was a little sleepy, but I was on time... although I missed the chance to run Sunday afternoon.

I made up for it Monday afternoon; following our Chincoteague meeting, I drove to Ocean City, Maryland, and ran over the causeway toward the ocean boardwalk, which was as packed as Coney Island. Clocked a total of 4.1 miles in the sea breeze; parasailers glided overhead. Nearly got squashed by cyclists trying to navigate the ultra-narrow sidewalk on the causeway, but kept my head. Good soft-serve next to the Comfort Inn. Did I mention that I have a weakness for soft-serve?

I realized I had to start prioritizing sleep, which left me no time to run Tuesday morning before our meeting at Assateague Island National Seashore... ah well. Our afternoon propeller-powered flight from Ocean City/Salisbury airport to Philadelphia was late, so we missed our connection to Boston, but there was another flight an hour later. My colleague Lindsey and I were for some reason originally booked in first class going from Philly to Boston, but when we had to switch flights, only her first-class reservation survived! Meh!

On the cab ride home, I saw a giant raccoon on Cedar Street, around the corner from me.

This morning I woke up expecting to drive Carson and Theresa to the airport to begin their multi-nation mega-trip (China [for the Olympics], Tibet, Nepal, Oman), but I had a text message and an e-mail waiting for me... evidently Carson had checked on his flight last night, and realized that it had been moved two hours earlier, even though he had gotten absolutely no notification. By the time I woke up, they were already in motion, but Carson did see my text wishing them a great trip.

That left me enough time to run this morning: 4 miles on the trail, swiftlike. I was still a few miles behind, so I figured I could also run in DC this afternoon... and, after I got off the plane and checked into the hotel, I logged another 4 miles, along the Rock Creek Parkway. In Casper, Wyoming, in May, I drove to a good running spot, and today I took the Metro up to the Woodley Park station to begin my run: those are the only two times I ever went to a particular place to do a run. But I'm glad I did today, because that was the same place I always used to run when I lived in DC (at the corner of Calvert and 24th, right where I was today) between February and June of 2005. And, needless to say, this is the first time I've ever run twice in one day. Even the afternoon run was fast. I feel strong! Some ice on the knees here in the hotel, and I'm ready for more -- 4 more miles on tap for tomorrow, and then a rest day Friday, and then FIFTEEN miles planned for Saturday. I must be nuts!

3 comments:

brandyk said...

you said ASSATEAGUE

Unknown said...

Christ man.. you couldn't get a break! Keep up the hard work!

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

Crazy! I heard about that awful backup from the bridge, that sucks! What an adventure though. Way to keep up the running insanity. Rock Creek park is great, I like that it is a nice quiet spot here in DC.

I am running 12 on Saturday with a co-worker all over the Capital Hill area...so if you are still here and you see me struggling give me a shout out! Good luck on 15...