STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day 67: Two legs good; two arms faster!

Here in Sun Valley, Idaho, there is a great hike/bike path; it actually extends for miles down to the town of Hailey. Today, as I motored along, I was passed by three people using only their arms to propel them... cross-country skiiers using wheeled skis, and poles to push themselves along. Always something new. (I caught up with them at a wooden-plank bridge, though, which confounded them. Ha!)

My knees were very sore yesterday and most of today, particularly the left knee. But something similar happened once in the past, and I figured that rather than actually being injured, I was just stiffening up, since I was cooped up in planes and cars all of yesterday (9 hours' worth of flying and driving). Sure enough, as I got out on the trail today, I loosened up as I went along, taking it very easy regardless. I even cut the run short from 4 miles to 3.2, just so I didn't push my knees, my stomach, or my lungs (hey, I'm at altitude!).

But I think the indicators are good. And with that, it's now time to seek some food here; a few of my colleagues and I are setting out in a few minutes. I hear the trout is a local specialty -- but I hope there are others, since I had trout last night. Yes... I'm spoiled.

Bonus: thanks to Rachael B. for putting me over the $2,500 fundraising mark, and also to my latest contributor, "BenKat" (who I can only assume is the duo of former "Law & Order" star Benjamin Bratt and figure skating legend Katarina Witt).

No comments: