STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Friday, August 22, 2008

Day 69: Nice guys finish short

Was supposed to run 4 miles yesterday but the schedule didn't permit; needed sleep, had an early morning (would have had to run in the dark anyway), and completed a 3-hour drive back to Boise. Revisited a desolate but beautiful stretch of US-20 between Fairfield and Mountain Home... brought back memories of a simpler, more innocent time. That is, May, during the bike trip.

Anyway, figured I'd get in the 4 miles this morning at the Boise airport hotel prior to catching my flight back to Boston, and I started on the 'mill, but a guy showed up and it was obvious, although he was reluctantly tooling away on the elliptical machine, that he wanted the treadmill. So I figured I'd reconfigure my run for high speed/short distance, and started running faster. Sure enough, around mile 2, he left without a word, not to reappear. I was already going very fast and I decided it was best to end at 3 miles anyway, which I did. Now I've got to pack up, eat up, and drive up to the airport. Next stop: Bos... er, I mean, Denver. Last stop today: Logan International Airport. (The one in Boston, not Billings.)

Bonus (er, penalty)... now coming to you live from Gate B21 at the Boise airport, thanks to free wireless. The flight is delayed due to "crew issues." Sheer incompetence! Now I'll only have about 20 minutes to make my connection in Denver, if all goes well. Oy!

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Hi Eric. I appreciate what you're trying to do--fit in your training around the demands of travel.

Hang in there and good luck getting ready for NYC.

You'll run awesome!