STATS: JUNE 14 THROUGH SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 2

Runs: 93
Miles run: 526.2
Longest Run Ever: the New York City Marathon -- all 26.2 miles of it!
Bikes: 18
Miles biked: 284

Time since the start: 2008-11-2 10:00:00 GMT-05:00

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Day 65: Sunny

Gorgeous summer weather here in Cambridge today, and even though the training plan called for zero running miles today (the only such Sunday), I took advantage anyway by going on a nice, easy 22-mile bike ride, to the end of the Minuteman Bikeway and back. I swear, so many of the people who use that path must have death wishes. There are the rollerbladers (including hockey-mask girl, who I saw again today -- twice!), who take up way too much path estate. There are the stroller-pushers, and bike-trailer-pushers, who don't seem to realize that they, too, are on the wide side. There are the small kids on bikes, who weave back and forth on the trail. There are the pet owners who let their dogs run free, or on such long leashes that you could easily clothesline yourself into oblivion. And everyone -- everyone! -- is inconsiderate, apparently not understanding that there are other people on the trail besides themselves. It's a miracle I didn't die about a hundred times.

Additional notes: knees still sore, but OK, and I bought new, neoprene knee braces, which hopefully won't chafe the backs of my legs like the old fabric ones did. Last night, I wore the old fabric ones to sleep -- compression therapy? -- along with the shin covers, and although it felt a little weird, and warm, it probably helped. Also, the problem that plagued me on the 13-miler -- upper-body stiffness -- was not a problem at all yesterday, perhaps because I remembered Carson's advice and kept swinging my arms and nodding my head back and forth to stay loose. I'm sure I looked like a freak, but it did the trick! Finally: off to Idaho tomorrow! It's a rest day, fortunately, and so is Friday, when I fly back, but I'm due to run Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Altitude training...!

Bonus note: I bought a cheap drying rack at the hardware store, so that when I get back from my runs and bike rides, I have somewhere to put my clothes so they can dry. I remember my friend Tony always having a pile of moist, festering hockey gear in his room, and I figured there had to be a better solution for me. (Hey, Tony!)

2 comments:

John Lannon said...

These blogs have a tendency to turn into misanthropic rants. This is most likely because humanity is wretched.

How is it that humans managed to organize into civilized society when the average person is incapable of walking/running/biking without nearly killing every other person in their vicinity?

In a related affront to curmudgeons and misanthropes everywhere, an article making the rounds last week suggested that asshole drivers (and, by extension, bikers, runners and dog walkers) are merely necessary cogs in our complex, self-optimizing system of civilization. They're still dicks!

Eric said...

Poetry! (Again!)